Liberland Blockchain

Dear contributor, programmer, interested visitor!

Welcome to our discussion forum regarding the blockchain project - the system on which the freest state in the world will soon run its government!

This blockchain is a fork of Polkadot with several custom pallets (that is, modules). Work has already been done, in part, on all the core elements of the project: the Node, the Backend and the Front End.

Please find the material that has already been worked on here on our public GitHub:

This document describes the short and mid-term goals of the project:

Let’s get this show on the road!

Yours sincerely
Michal Ptacnik

2 Likes

That is a very impressive, monumental effort.

I remember back in the day: Liberland: the first state to use the EOS blockchain- The Cryptonomist

Not sure how relevant now, I think that being EVM compatible is better than Polkadot?

With so many things to implement, I’m thinking that existing chain with existing tooling could be faster “go to market”.

Long term vision of course own Liberland chain. Short term…

Both options are valid. I want to contribute and add value, rather than initiate discussion at a late stage. So where we are now? Is there a working demo somewhere?

We are currently evaluating the code we already have, and at the time of the writing, it is not clear which parts of it are usable.

My suggestion: https://www.xdaichain.com/

XDAI has been around for quite a while. Super cheap, almost free. EVM compatible. Existing tooling and community. Removes loads of headaches :pray:

1 Like

So the plan is to create a new blockchain, and the Polkadot work is being put aside for now?

(side node Polkadot appears to be dead, so that may be a good thing)

First, thank you for your time and effort in this project. Since I am new to this discussion, I want to get up to speed. Is there a particular reason that it was decided to fork Polkadot? Also, when you say fork, is this to be a separate chain not connected to the actual Polkadot ecosystem? If so, how is this chain being secured? Finally, Did you consider other projects like Cosmos or Cardano and their ability to allow us to create an L1 chain while benefiting from the security and interoperability of the project?
Sorry for all the questions, just curious about how you arrived at this point.

Why would the project taken on the monumental work of creating its own smart contract supporting blockchain when we could just use an existing one like solana on avalanche chain? And there are bridging mechanisms between these and EVM as I understand it as well if that is important.

Or perhaps I am misunderstand what the plan is.

1 Like

Hello! We are currently making a fork of Polkadot. This is the “Polkadot work”; but we don’t want to be a parachain or anything dependent on the original (besides for the initial code). We want to be a new blockchain which is based on the Substrate (Rust) standard, but otherwise fully independent, our own nodes, our own validators, our own SCs, gateways, etc.

Thank you for your question! When we say “fork”, we do not mean hard fork in the sense how BCH is a fork of BTC. What we mean is that we make a completely new blockchain that only shares the code with Polkadot, NOT the transaction history. We did consider several other projects and TBH are still considering. For example, in the past, we had considered EOS, but that wasn’t found to be sufficient. But - the work is now half finished, and we hope to be able to bring it to a good end. Then, we will be our own Blockchain, building our own technology base, smart contracts, gateways, DAOs, etc.

Thank you for your question! We want to create our own Liberland blockchain because there is clearly a demand for something like this. Also, we are a state and this blockchain is our critical infrastructure. We aim to be a 100 percent trustworthy project, a state just like any other, but freer and better - therefore, we want to ensure that our system is stable and in the hands of Liberland’s citizens - only citizens will be able to become validators (though others will be able to stake/nominate, of course), ensuring that the Liberland blockchain stays connected to Liberland.

To use somebody else’s blockchain, or, as it may be, a public blockchain, would be to compromise with this sovereing state ideal. Last but not least, we have genuinely something new to offer to the space, namely, our tokenomics. We will have a strict vesting schedule and a max cap, a bit like BTC, but then with SC capability. No need for “burn tricks” here to achieve a deflationary situation. We are not just “cloning” or “having a blockchain to serve a state” - no; we are building a public blockchain that will advance the industy standard, bring in something that is not there yet and which the people really want.

Now, honestly, we are also considering other alternatives. In the right constelation of circulmstances, we may yet decide to take up the offer of a partner and built on another chain. This door is not closed - yet. But the reasons above provided a strong incentive for us to look for ways of building our own chain. The space is still young, we can do it, and if you can go big and aim high in this space, why should you stay small and aim low?

1 Like

Thanks for all the answers @Michal_Ptacnik

I like that your document says MVP, that’s a good way to approach software development.

Can you distil your governance goals down to the first couple things you want governed?

I am happy that you like it. The approach is to release a minimally viable product and to work with it and make changes organically.

The first minimal governance should pertain to the existence of an on-chain e-residency and Citizenship.
Then, depending on the situation of the product, either the implementation of the Congress, elections, the role of the Representatives, the legislative power as per our Constitution; or
some kind of a simple petition system where you will be able to temporarily stake your LLM into political proposals which the Provisional Government will have to review and respond to if enough LLM get staked into them.
The details, in this case, are not set in stone, so all I can offer are ideas and speculations at this point; we will make the decisions based on the updated information from our reviews of the software.
We hope that we will be able to take the first route, thus, the full implementation of our governance according to our Constitution.
For complexity’s sake: A MVP version also entails the ability of users to Stake your LLM into nominators and the ability of Citizens to become validators. But that is already under the previous point of the strategy.

Great answers.

So for on-chain e-residency and Citizenship, those seem like things that are hard to do on blockchains. Hence all the current projects attempting to handle identification (https://identity.foundation/, https://sovrin.org/, etc).

Would a more MVP solution to e-residency and Citizenship be to keep it centralized, similar to Estonia’s e-residency program?

As for staking and voting with LLM, many crypto PoS blockchains are doing this now, maybe we could use their work as-is without the need for a new blockchain fork.

A real example I experimented with recently was Algorand’s new governance. The user interface of the first-party Algorand Wallet was easy to use and fast.

It’s also possible Ethereum get’s it act together and is able to scale, but we’ll have to wait and see on that one.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, happy to be here.
I am a Liberland e-resident, have been an Ethereum developer since 2016, and also published a Solidity how-to coding book.
I would like to ask if there are any plans to support Solidity on this blockchain, or only Rust?
Thanks in advance.

Dear Undefined,

Thank you for your interest! If you would send to us your motivation and a short summary of your skill set and experience, we will be happy to consider your application.
As for Solidity vs Rust, we are currently focusing on finishing the Rust based node. I am not saying it will not be different I.e. after we build a gateway between our blockchain and some other Solidity based ones, but currently, the focus is on Rust.

Own chain

It’s a really tough call

EVM dominates the space

Source: https://twitter.com/eliasimos/status/1475396873066364938

My genuine feeling is that Ethereum ecosystem is 2 years ahead any other chain.

Not sure how relevant now, not sure how Sunk cost - Wikipedia but I would be happier if development resources were deployed towards APPLICATION LAYER

• voting
  • delegation
  • earning merits
  • courts (dispute resolution)
  • registry of companies, land, property
  • voluntary taxes
  • transparency in government spending

:point_up::point_up::point_up: #GovTech

The BLOCKCHAIN LAYER - use something that is already working

It’s a really tough call, longer term I agree that own blockchain is the way to go. In the short term I think that the APPLICATION LAYER and building #GovTech is more important.

What are the human resources working on this project? How many skilled developers with necessary level of experience?

Substrate is a great tool for a custom blockchain build. I’ve been playing with that recently, good to see the growing community behind it. However, a custom Liberland blockchain might not benefit from the bigger ecosystem, like uniswap integration, won’t have access to Ethereum based oracles, and the big NFT marketplaces.

Hi Michael,
sorry, I did not see that my name was displaying incorrectly. My name is Fatima, and as I said, I am currently a Liberland e-resident.

Skillset and experience:
blockchain developer (mostly Bitcoin) since 2013, Ethereum/Solidity developer since 2016, wrote a book on Solidity coding:

I am currently developing a web3/decentralized Social Network and would like it to be of service to Liberland.

My motivation is Freedom.

All the best.

2 Likes

What working blockchain governance exists right now?

The only smart contract’s I’ve seen are governance for a single number, like an interest rate, such as MakerDAO | An Unbiased Global Financial System

What project has gone beyond, voting to change a number?

LOADS

https://deepdao.io/

Moloch / DAO Stack / Colony didn’t make it into TOP10

This is what I mean with ETH ecosystem being 2 years ahead of the rest and capturing majority of the developer mindshare.

PROGRESSIVE DECENTRALISATION

If you’re a crypto founder and are ready for this stage, that means you have achieved early product/market fit, built a robust community capable of successfully maintaining the application, and mapped out a model that properly incentivizes sustainable operations.

Now for the last and final step on the journey to sufficient decentralization: a widespread token distribution.

For me, it is obvious that Liberland will have its own chain (own airline, own beer, own anthem)

For now, in the meantime, “time to market” and using existing infra, existing tech, existing (centralized, web2, google) services is totally fine with me.

2 Likes

@Mars that’s a good list,

I’ll have to dive into the ones I haven’t seen. So far the two governance techniques are:

1. Vote on changing a number (eg, an interest rate)
  2. Vote on proposals (yes, no)

I might be thinking too many steps ahead, but how are these proposal executed on, for example:

https://www.thelao.io/governance-proposals/QmYWyqesuVTvngwKFhhmAzDrLbJTJYav4d3P21swF4HiYd

Looks like a word doc, describing changes, so the vote on chain tells the devs what to build, and they build it?

Answering my own question, looks decentraland is voting on land

https://snapshot.org/#/snapshot.dcl.eth/proposal/QmNZ1WA2e4WtNstV959GtavF9wFGfW1Pxf9HUUdboGNgu4